From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT?] Advice on hardware
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:53:24
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > Greetings list,
3 >
4 > After my mobo fried, I decided to upgrade and buy a new one, with a
5 > new processor, I would get an Asus last generation with an Athlon 64
6 > as processor and the rest inherit from my previous machine (so,
7 > compatible as far as I know).
8 >
9 > I've seen posts regarding imcompatibility issues with A64 and Gentoo,
10 > and heard about an specific division of Gentoo Foundation studying and
11 > developing for the A64. I'm kinda a "stable" user, so, I'm afraid of
12 > buying hardware that will still be tested and maybe encounter some
13 > weird errors.
14 >
15 > Any advice?
16 >
17 > PS: Nvidia would be my choice for video, anyone have suggestions?
18
19 Gentoo amd64 works great! The main place you might have difficulties is with IA32 dependent apps such as wine. If you need IA32 compatibility there is some info here:
20
21 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/technotes/index.xml?part=1&chap=4
22
23 Also, for amd64 specific stuff, you can use the gentoo-amd64 mailing list.
24
25 Zac
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list