From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernel on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 20:48:08
1 On 6/18/20 4:02 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 3:35 PM james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I use a 3.18.40 kernel, currently, on one of my AMD systems. It has
5 >> thousands of source build packages, not only from portage but many others.
6 >
7 > Keep in mind that you're running a non-longterm kernel, which means
8 > that if there is a known regression or security issue in your kernel,
9 > a kernel update to fix it wouldn't be provided upstream.
10 >
11 > If you were running 3.16 or 4.4 you would get these updates. If you
12 > plan to stick with a kernel for a very long time you should try to
13 > pick one that is designated as a longterm kernel. 3.16.85 was
14 > released just a week ago. It obviously doesn't get very frequent
15 > updates, but if something important comes along they'll release a fix.
16 > I'd have to check the timelines but you might have unmitigated Spectre
17 > vulnerabilities in that kernel.
18 >
19 > Also, you mention AMD. If you happen to be using a Ryzen processor
20 > there were a number of updates to the kernel to better support it. I
21 > forget which kernels have these but if you don't have those patches
22 > you'd probably benefit from an upgrade. If you have a pre-Ryzen CPU
23 > then that won't matter much.
24 >
25 > I completely agree that you can get away with a longterm kernel and
26 > there are a lot of reasons for doing so. I just recommend sticking
27 > with one that actually is supported.
30 Agreed. It just happened that way; no planning.... Yep all of the
31 embedded devices where pre-Ryzen, as well at the amd-15 chipsets of the
32 old hosts, where a plethora of codes live.
33
34 Definitely not suggesting that pathway and I never intended to get that
35 deep into embedded; it just happened. I was just trying to 'inspire'
36 folks on older codes and such.
37
38 In an ideal life, I'd be getting a HH-50!
39
40 https://www.hhcatamarans.com/hh50
43 Harboring it on Sugarloaf Key (east) of Key West a few miles) and
44 forgetting how to spell Gentoo. Of coarse that would mean I'd have to
45 have a few (coding) youngsters that like the aero-nautical life style. I
46 rarely get to live out a properly planned life. My Gentoo Foo is
47 definitely a mess...
48
49 https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/57-Palm-Dr-Key-West-FL-33040/2101168547_zpid/?mmlb=g,0
50
51 For me, HOPE is a dream, being totally (gentoo and codes) ORGANIZED;
52 wishful thinking.....
55 Thank you Rich,
56
57 James