From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernel on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 20:03:12
1 On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 3:35 PM james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > I use a 3.18.40 kernel, currently, on one of my AMD systems. It has
4 > thousands of source build packages, not only from portage but many others.
5
6 Keep in mind that you're running a non-longterm kernel, which means
7 that if there is a known regression or security issue in your kernel,
8 a kernel update to fix it wouldn't be provided upstream.
9
10 If you were running 3.16 or 4.4 you would get these updates. If you
11 plan to stick with a kernel for a very long time you should try to
12 pick one that is designated as a longterm kernel. 3.16.85 was
13 released just a week ago. It obviously doesn't get very frequent
14 updates, but if something important comes along they'll release a fix.
15 I'd have to check the timelines but you might have unmitigated Spectre
16 vulnerabilities in that kernel.
17
18 Also, you mention AMD. If you happen to be using a Ryzen processor
19 there were a number of updates to the kernel to better support it. I
20 forget which kernels have these but if you don't have those patches
21 you'd probably benefit from an upgrade. If you have a pre-Ryzen CPU
22 then that won't matter much.
23
24 I completely agree that you can get away with a longterm kernel and
25 there are a lot of reasons for doing so. I just recommend sticking
26 with one that actually is supported.
29 Rich