From: Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any bought a laptop that "Just Works"?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:59:28
1 On 03/30/2011 02:46 PM, Elaine C. Sharpe wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 08:40:02PM +0200, Robin Atwood wrote:
3 >> I am in the market for a new laptop and would be interested if anyone
4 >> else on the list had recently bought a laptop in which all the hardware
5 >> worked out of the box with Linux. I am most concerned about
6 >> WiFi/audio/webcam, the finer points of hibernation are of lesser
7 >> concern. Currently I have a "Linux Certified" machine but I want to
8 >> avoid shipping costs to the UK.
11 > I've always had the best luck with the hardware support for
12 > thinkpads (and dell inspirons, though they're kind of clunky
13 > and cheesy). Can't vouch for the new ones though, it's been
14 > a few years since I upgraded.
17 I've been using a thinkpad X201; WiFi works well and audio too. Don't
18 have a camera. There is a little problem configuring the touch pad
19 buttons for a left hand but it does not bother me. All in all a very
20 good machine under gentoo.
23 Valmor