From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: make.conf bindist
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 14:22:28
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > <maffblaster <at> gentoo.org> wrote:
5 > > This is an excellent explanation of the flag. Will you give me
6 permission > > to use it or re-word it for a wiki page concerning bindist?
7
8 This did fix my problems. Before Firefox was auto-named 'aurora' in the
9 lxde menu. Now, without bindist, the name changed to 'firefox'. I sure other
10 names changed, but I was focused on aurora-firefox so I did not save
11 a list..... I'm not sure if bindist changed the actual name of the
12 executable, as 'aurora' was always launched from the lxde menu, on that system.
15 > Certainly, do whatever you wish with it.
16 > It might even make sense to put a mention in the handbook. This is
17 > the flag that probably comes closest to distinguishing between the
18 > Debian-like and Ubuntu-like experience as far as pure-FOSS licensing
19 > goes. There are many who prefer each and with Gentoo you get your
20 > choice.
23 Gentoo-user is full of useful 'tidbits' of information. We rarely capture
24 those facts into the wiki. Any data_mining of gentoo_user
25 into the wiki would be keenly a wonderful idea, imho.
26
27 hth,
28 James