From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for NAS appliance?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 07:55:37
1 On 14/11/21 12:52 am, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 12:35 AM William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3 >> Look at the odroid HC4 - I am using 5x the older HC2 version for moosefs
4 >> - they are USB3 based but work well in this application. They are arm32
5 >> but 64bit is not needed.
6 > I like the idea behind the HC series Odroids, but being limited to 1-2
7 > drives per node seems a bit contraining. With the USB3 approach there
8 > really is no limit to how many drives I can put on a node, as long as
9 > I don't mind the performance drop. I'm more concerned with static
10 > storage capacity in this case. If you're using 1Gbps ethernet then I
11 > guess two drives is already going to saturate the network if they're
12 > able to read sequentially.
13 >
14 The HC2 works fine with a USB3 disk added to an existing sata drive (I
15 was doing that for awhile using SATA->USB3 adaptors) - however it looks
16 like the HC4 has dropped USB3 and only USB2 is available - backward step
17 in my view.
18
19 BillK