From: Moshe Kamensky <moshe.kamensky@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ppp connection problem
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:09:33
1 * Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net> [09/03/09 06:15]:
2 > On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 16:20:32 -0400
3 > Moshe Kamensky <moshe.kamensky@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > We called the ISP, and from their side it seems that he is connected,
6 > > and everything is fine. I don't know where else to look. The log
7 > > messages showed in the beginning messages of the form
8 > >
9 > > LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
10 > >
11 > > but they seem to no longer appear. As I said, I don't even know where to
12 > > start looking for the problem. Any help is appreciated.
13 >
14 > I can suggest trying at least two things:
15 >
16 > 1. pon <connection name> debug nodetach
17 > You'll see a lot of messages, and, probably, some errors. Most of
18 > them are probably non-fatal, but try eliminating all of them by
19 > setting right asyncmap, compression, authentication etc
20 > In the end you should get IP and connection shouldn't break after a
21 > minute or so, which is often because of 2.
22
23 Thanks. As far as I understand, the <connection name> should be the name
24 of a file in /etc/ppp/peers? If so, this is probably something he should
25 create.
28 > 2. ip route
29 > Check that there's only one default route, that there's a route to IP
30 > you're connecing with, aside from default one through it, and that
31 > it's metric is lower than the default one. Check that you can still
32 > ping that IP.
33
34 I checked that already, that seems fine.
35
36 Thank you,
37 Moshe
40 > --