From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is kde 3.5 stable enough?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:28:28
1 060214 b.n. wrote:
2 > I still can't see KDE 3.5 in the stable x86.
3
4 I'm always grateful for the devs' unpaid work (big smile),
5 but the KDE team does seem a bit over-cautious about stability sometimes.
6
7 > I don't like to rely on unstable -- crashing, misworking -- apps
8
9 The only problem I've had with 3.5.0 is Kpdf crashing on a 'recent document'.
10
11 > Does kde 3.5 pulls in a lot of ~x86 dependencies?
12
13 Not on this machine.
14
15 > I don't use KDE itself -- I'm happy with Fluxbox --
16 > but I use KDE apps very much, Konqueror,Kwrite,Kate,K3b...
17
18 I have Fluxbox installed as a back-up & configure KDE to be very simple:
19 KDE has an excellent facility for restarting apps with each session
20 & I like different backgrounds for my 10 desktops.
21
22 3.5.1 is the current testing version, which I may install next weekend.
23 I recommend using the individual packages, not the big metabuilds.
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list