From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Another USE question
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 08:00:20
1 On 27 May 2009, at 00:33, Keith Dart wrote:
2 >>> ...
3 >>> USE_FOO="this n that"
4 >>> USE_BAR="some more flags"
5 >>> BLAH="whatever else there might be"
6 >>>
7 >>> USE="${USE_FOO} ${USE_BAR} ${BLAH}
8 >>
9 >> Thank's. That is exactly what I was looking for.
10 >
11 > But that will likely break, or render useless, the ufed tool.
12 >
13 > If you don't use that, you probably should.
14
15 I'm really unconvinced by ufed.
16
17 In a standard terminal window, 80 characters wide, the descriptions
18 are too long and instead of wrapping around to the next line they fall
19 off the end of the screen and you can't read them. Sure, I can resize
20 the terminal window, but I don't want to have to do that manually each
21 time I run ufed, then resize it back to my usual size again
22 afterwards. ufed is about the only program I've used which doesn't
23 seem right in my "standard" terminal window size of 50 rows x 80
24 columns.
25
26 ufed has seemed to me to behave unexpectedly on occasions. I have run
27 it, added only one USE flag and then when I re-run `emerge -pv world`
28 more than one additional USE setting has changed. WTF?!?!
29
30 This is why I have arrived at the combination of euse (and now `equery
31 uses`) to view USE descriptions and flagedit for setting them. I think
32 that from a usability point of view these are easier than either ufed
33 or a text editor. Either of the latter render the whole terminal
34 window and throws one into a different "modality" (??) from the
35 command line utilities that one uses most - cat, cp, mv, touch, emerge
36 &c. With euse, equery & flagedit one can still see in the terminal
37 buffer the output of the previous command(s), and one can use the bash
38 history to quickly edit the last argument of the command (always the
39 USE flag or package name).
40
41 Using vim to edit make.conf or ufed requires your mind to enter a
42 slightly different "way of thinking" and requires a different set of
43 commands. However hard I'm trying to improve my knowledge of vim's
44 keyboard shortcuts, one has to find the USE flag line, navigate the
45 cursor inside the quotes, change to edit mode (perhaps not required on
46 other editors), type the flag name, save and then exit. Then one is
47 back to the normal "type command, output appears on screen, fresh
48 prompt appears" command line "paradigm". The difference is admittedly
49 small, but for me typing `flagedit +foo` is just more natural. ufed is
50 unique to its task and - perhaps I use it relatively infrequently - I
51 just find it more of a hassle to get my head into the appropriate gear
52 for it (not withstanding the problems I pointed out in my first &
53 second paragraphs).
54
55 IMO if you're not using `equery uses category/package` and `flagedit
56 [category/package] flag [flag]` then you probably should.
57 ;)
58
59 Stroller.