From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Another USE question
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 08:15:13
1 On Mittwoch 27 Mai 2009, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 27 May 2009, at 00:33, Keith Dart wrote:
3 > >>> ...
4 > >>> USE_FOO="this n that"
5 > >>> USE_BAR="some more flags"
6 > >>> BLAH="whatever else there might be"
7 > >>>
8 > >>> USE="${USE_FOO} ${USE_BAR} ${BLAH}
9 > >>
10 > >> Thank's. That is exactly what I was looking for.
11 > >
12 > > But that will likely break, or render useless, the ufed tool.
13 > >
14 > > If you don't use that, you probably should.
15 >
16 > I'm really unconvinced by ufed.
17 >
18 > In a standard terminal window, 80 characters wide, the descriptions
19 > are too long and instead of wrapping around to the next line they fall
20 > off the end of the screen and you can't read them. Sure, I can resize
21 > the terminal window, but I don't want to have to do that manually each
22 > time I run ufed, then resize it back to my usual size again
23 > afterwards. ufed is about the only program I've used which doesn't
24 > seem right in my "standard" terminal window size of 50 rows x 80
25 > columns.
26
27 or you can, you know, scroll it.
28 Protip: arrow keys, left, right.
31 > ufed has seemed to me to behave unexpectedly on occasions. I have run
32 > it, added only one USE flag and then when I re-run `emerge -pv world`
33 > more than one additional USE setting has changed. WTF?!?!
34
35 never happened here. But maybe you did more than just change one flag before
36 you did the pv world - like emerge sync - and some default flag was changed?
39 > This is why I have arrived at the combination of euse (and now `equery
40 > uses`) to view USE descriptions and flagedit for setting them. I think
41 > that from a usability point of view these are easier than either ufed
42 > or a text editor.
43
44 except that you obviously did not use ufed.