From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Distorted Mirroed Overlapping screen with ATI Rage card
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 22:42:48
1 On Friday 06 Jul 2012 05:09:08 Christopher Lemire wrote:
2 > **This is what my laptop's screen with a newly installed Gentoo system
3 > running twm to test X looks like (attached image). It's distorted with
4 > overlapping and mirrored image. I have a Dell Latitude C800 with the video
5 > card.
6 >
7 > http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/qq4qz9jf/0705122206.jpg
8 >
9 > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee
10 > ATI Rage Mobility M4 AGP [1002:4d46]
11 > Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:00a3]
12 > Kernel driver in use: aty128fb
13 >
14 > Yes, I have compiled the r128 driver directly into the kernel. Various
15 > people around the internet had posted xorg.conf that was supposed "ati" as
16 > the driver. I do not have that driver. I substituted in the same xorg.conf
17 > with r128, and I still had the same issue. I tried with no xorg.conf (the
18 > default), and I couldn't startx, errored and crashed. I had also tried X
19 > -configure and had the same distorted screen. I know it is possible to get
20 > this working just fine. I had it working just fine in Arch Linux with r128.
21 > I really don't want to go back to using Arch. I already used fdisk on it to
22 > install this new Gentoo system.
23
24 You should still be able to startx with no xorg.conf, as long as you have KMS
25 built in the kernel, any firmware required for your card installed and
26 instructions followed closely here:
27
28 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
29
30 PS. 'ati' is the proprietary driver. Given the age of your card you probably
31 need 'radeon' specified in your make.conf. The above link explains the
32 necessary.
33
34 HTH.
35 --