From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub menu and the new openrc
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 02:32:37
1 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 17 May 2011 20:48:54 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> The emerge -e world finished. It still doesn't work like it did a few
5 >> weeks ago. So, I tried the nonetwork option. That starts about every
6 >> service except the GUI, my UPS thingy and a couple others. Get this, it
7 >> even starts the freaking network. Why is it called nonetwork if it
8 >> starts the network too. Seeing the list of services it started, it
9 >> didn't miss many.
10 >>
11 > Did it start as part of "Hey, there is a network card, lets use it"?
12 >
13 > I believe the default configuration auto-starts network devices if any are
14 > found.
17 >> There is something not right here. It appears that openrc or whatever
18 >> is not working the way it should. The funniest part about this, it
19 >> worked fine the other day and it works just fine from a console. It
20 >> just doesn't work right when passed from grub.
21 >>
22 >> Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
23 >>
24 > Try disabling auto-starting services? :)
25 >
26 > --
27 > Joost
30 It's been a while since I rebooted. Built a new kernel so here we go
31 again. Round two.
32
33 Disabled that, still started the network and a WHOLE lot of other
34 things. This is what is in the nonetwork runlevel:
35
36 root@fireball / # ls -al /etc/runlevels/nonetwork/
37 total 0
38 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 72 Nov 17 2010 .
39 drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 200 May 10 18:19 ..
40 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Dec 9 05:12 local -> /etc/init.d/local
41 root@fireball / #
42
43 I'm going to create a runlevel myself and let it mirror the boot
44 runlevel. Let's see what that does. I'll post results here shortly.
45
46 Dale
47