From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 08:50:46
1 On Tue, February 18, 2014 15:37, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 3:54 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> As I do not have systemd installed on any machine, I can't check the
4 >> man-pages.
5 >
6 > They are online [1].
7
8 Useful, but not necessary for this discussion.
9
10 >> But, if that is the only method to get parseable text from journalctl,
11 >> then that is less then useless.
12 >
13 > I only put that option as tongue-in-cheek, since someone complained
14 > about not being able to "cat" the logs. Many more options are
15 > available.
16
17 I see this option as a easter-egg without any real value. How many of
18 these useless code-paths are implemented?
19 Can these be disabled at compile time?
20
21 >> I would expect an export option providing the same detail level as I
22 >> currently find in /var/log/messages.
23 >> A timestamp is a minimum required for logging system output.
24 >
25 > Everybody agrees with that; that's why the journal supports a lot of
26 > formatting options. From [2]:
27 >
28 <SNIPPED man-page>
29 >
30 > So you can have the default; journalctl -b | head:
31 >
32 > -- Logs begin at Tue 2013-09-24 13:39:03 CDT, end at Tue 2014-02-18
33 > 08:28:44 CST. --
34 > Feb 10 09:50:37 centurion systemd-journal[371]: Runtime journal is
35 > using 712.0K (max 198.0M, leaving 297.1M of free 1.9G, current limit
36 > 198.0M).
37 > Feb 10 09:50:37 centurion systemd-journal[371]: Runtime journal is
38 > using 716.0K (max 198.0M, leaving 297.1M of free 1.9G, current limit
39 > 198.0M).
40
41 <SNIPPED log examples>
44 > See if you can easily do that with rsyslog or syslog-ng.
45
46 Not easily, but I do not see the point, beyond as a nice gimmick.
47 Same question applies, can I disable these code-paths during compile-time?
48
49 I have log-parsing scripts that check for unexpected log-entries which
50 expect syslog-standard logs.
51 I do not see the need to have to spend time to change working code to be
52 able to handle different formats.
53
54 Additionally, the use of "tail -f" and "grep" allows me to check the logs
55 real-time for debugging purposes.
56 Having to use a seperate tool that converts some proprietary binary format
57 to human readable/scriptable single-line logs makes no sense.
58
59 It all sounds too much like the MS Windows Event-viewer to me.
60 Too many events with no usefull logging information (And I am referring to
61 OS-level messages as to why default services are not starting)
64 Joost