From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : (2) HDD or SSD ?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:07:00
1 Am Freitag, 20. Juli 2012, 03:31:44 schrieb Philip Webb:
2 > My regular machine has a Seagate SATA 320 GB ( 3 Gb/s 16 MB ).
3 >
4 > Have SSDs reached the point where they are reliable & long-lasting ?
5 > Should I perhaps install an SSD for some uses + an HDD for others ?
6 > Is it viable to use an SSD for Portage ?
7 >
8 > Apart from Portage + a few everyday files,
9 > there isn't much churn among the stuff I have on my existing HDD (above).
10 >
11 > I saw a recent thread on this topic, but further thoughts are welcome.
12
13 forget the i7. Buy something a lot cheaper and invest the money into a nice,
14 fat SSD like Vertex3.
15
16 Money well spent.
19 #163933