From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Nots and bolts of creating an ebuild
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 03:01:28
1 David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:16:26 -0600
4 > Harry Putnam wrote:
7 >> [ Ebuild HOWTO ]
8 >>
9 >> Reading only partially so far but this looks really complicated. I
10 >> thought I remembered a more nuts and bolts howto somewhere more
11 >> appropriate for someone getting started who is ..er intellectually
12 >> challenged.
13 >>
14 >> I really just want to add an epatch line to an existing ebuild but it
15 >> appears some protocols need to be followed to generate the manifest
16 >> and probably lots of other stuff.
17 >>
18 >> Can anyone point me to something?
19 >>
20 >> I've see it said here a few times that creating an overlay and a
21 >> custom ebuild is `easy' but I suspect that only applies if you already
22 >> know how its done.
25 > I've created a couple of patch ebuilds, so can provide some
26 > (non-expert) info. I don't recall all the steps I took to get
27 > "educated" in this process, but I remember looking at a variety of
28 > ebuilds, the patterns in their names (what's legal), and the commands
29 > used within them.
30 >
31 > For "system/package" (for example mail-filter/bogofilter) one would
32 >
33 > 1) create directory /usr/local/portage/system/package and
34 > copy /usr/portage/system/package/* to it.
35 >
36 > 2) put the patch file in /usr/local/portage/system/package/files/
37 >
38 > 3) create a new ebuild (with updated version) and an epatch line in
39 > src_install()
40 >
41 > 4) update the manifest file with
42 >
43 > ebuild system/package/package-version.ebuild digest
44 >
45 > Obviously these instructions are somewhat minimal. You'll likely need
46 > to run "emerge package" more than once to get the details right.
47
48 Thanks, it was a lot of help. However I never did get the pieces
49 right. My patch (really a gentoo@bug contributors) fails once I
50 finally did get enough of it lined up to process that far.
51
52 After some 40-50 or so attempts I just went ahead and pre patched the
53 main ebuild, ran digest on that... and emerge worked, at least its
54 compiling right now.
55
56 I realize that way will miss the good side of emerge in the future and
57 get overwritten. But I want to try this package out so maybe I'll get
58 it right later.