From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel SRT + SSD + SATA
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 21:44:46
1 On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 21:59:20 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 25/06/2013 21:10, Mick wrote:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > I am considering my options for a new rig destined to last a few years
6 > > and one of the Dell machines on offer has this Intel SRT fake-raid
7 > > feature, which after some cursory googling, I am not entirely sure will
8 > > work with Linux.
9 >
10 > bah, that fake-raid. Just discard it completely, it's a way for windows
11 > uses who don't have lvm-awesomeness to have big drives and not have to
12 > do anything to get it.
13
14 I think it is used to RAID the SSD onto the hard drive, so that it can be
15 replicated onto a new SSD if/when the original goes bad.
18 > Just use lvm and/or software raid to do the job right. You will not
19 > regret using the appropriate tool for the job like this.
20
21 OK, so dmraid and mdadm will do the same for Linux?
22
23 How do people mirror their SD onto the SATA, or what is the recommended way to
24 safeguard the SSD installed OS?
27 > > As a side issue, I am not sure whether to fork out for an i7 Haswell, or
28 > > go for good ol' AMD FX-8350 ...
29 > >
30 > > Is the single thread i7 superiority going to trump AMDs 8 real cores for
31 > > web development, image editing and browsing activities?
32 >
33 > Your cell phone will cope with that work load just fine
34
35 Ha! I'm still using an old Nokia feature phone and I mostly use it to make
36 telephone calls! O_O
39 > Don't stress about it, your question is on the order of magnitude of
40 > wondering if 5 horses or 4 camels are better for carrying one paper bag
41 > of groceries home from the supermarket. The truth is, the basket in
42 > front of granny's bicycle is perfectly adequate, and probably faster too
43
44 LOL!!
45
46 So, you're saying that other than at compile time I won't notice the
47 difference?
50 Regards,
51 Mick