From: "José González Gómez" <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Laptop graphics card broken??
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:18:56
1 2006/10/21, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>:
2 >
3 > On 10/20/06, José González Gómez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > I've got an Acer Aspire 1520 with an NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700 and a dual
5 > > Gentoo Linux/Windows install. The problem is that the graphics card
6 > seems to
7 > > be broken, at least partially: whenever I start the laptop the screen is
8 > > off, and here comes the weird part, if I select Gentoo from the grub
9 > boot (I
10 > > know where the options are, so I can select it even with the screen off)
11 > the
12 > > screen keeps off, but if I select Windows, the screen gets on, but only
13 > when
14 > > Windows reach the login screen, not before.
15 >
16 > Does your Gentoo system boot into X, or to a console?
17 >
18 > Have you tried plugging in an external monitor to see what is displayed
19 > there?
22 This is solved now... I restarted the computer several times until the
23 screen displayed the bootup screen. I then entered the BIOS, changed all the
24 configuration related to the screen (dual screen detection, automatic
25 brightness,...), and then restarted. After restarting a few times and
26 checking that the screen always functioned properly I entered the BIOS again
27 and reverted back all changes. Now the screen is working properly. I don't
28 know what the hell happened.
29
30 Thanks everybody for your help.
31