From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (viable) alternatives ?
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 05:35:22
1 On 11/11/14 07:20, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 05:48:49PM +0200, Samuli Suominen wrote
3 >
4 >> I wouldn't worry about it at all, there is no way *sys-fs/udev ebuild*
5 >> will ever need systemd. There might be a news item later, with
6 >> instructions on moving to something else, but that's not something we
7 >> are even planning at the moment, so sys-fs/udev is still the de facto
8 >> proper upstream /dev manager.
9 > What worries me is that Lennart has been able to get modifications
10 > done to the kernel, e.g. kdbus. I know this'll sound paranoid, but how
11 > long before he pushes a patch that requires systemd to run the linux
12 > kernel?
15 I expect systemd-udevd to be migrated into kdbus, which means libudev,
16 libgudev-1.0 and the
17 systemd-udevd binary itself will likely need the libsystemd-bus library,
18 which we will then package
19 and ship together with sys-fs/udev
20 Or if systemd-udevd binary starts requiring a running service of some of
21 the systemd services,
22 then we will make those available as well and run the from the
23 udev-init-scripts, or possibly
24 even adjust sys-apps/openrc to compensate for the inadequaties
25
26 Just trying to say, that even with kdbus pending, I'm not worried at all
27
28 - Samuli