From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VFS: Cannot open root device - kernel panic
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 05:14:54
1 Denis wrote:
2 >> I have ran into things like this before, I usually run make mrproper
3 >> from within the kernel directory to make sure there is no old cruft
4 >> laying around in there.
5 >
6 > In my case, it was a fresh install, which made it quite a bit more
7 > painful to fix because I had to go through the procedures twice and
8 > did not have a working kernel to fall back on. It's the scenario I've
9 > always dreaded, and then one day it actually happens. When I re-did
10 > the install, I erased the partition table and started anew, so there
11 > was no old cruft to begin with.
12 >
13 > I'm not sure if this contributed to anything, but I enabled all the
14 > relevant RAID support the second time around. Since I only have one
15 > SATA drive, I simply turned off RAID support initially in the kernel,
16 > but it's possible that this particular combination of hardware was
17 > expecting a RAID driver...
18 >
19 > I'm so clueless sometimes trying to figure out some of these kernel
20 > options... haha. The really technical ones where it's like a foreign
21 > language. I love the "if unsure, say N here." or "if you don't know
22 > what this is, you probably don't need it - say N here." ;-)
23
24 Well, when you download the kernel sources, there can be "old cruft" in
25 there. It does seem to start out with some basic options and I was told
26 once a long time ago to run mrproper to be sure to get it all out. It
27 fixed the problem I was having then and I have done it ever since.
28 Funny thing is, I wonder if that would have helped. Most likely not but
29 something to remember next time.
30
31 I just checked and I have a newer kernel on here. I may compile the new
32 version and boot it next time. I'm on almost 45 days of uptime so don't
33 hold your breath on me rebooting. LOL
34
35 Glad you got it running though.
36
37 Dale
38
42 www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967
43
44 Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list