From: Tsukasa Mcp_Reznor <Mcp_Reznor@×××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 22:51:07
1 ________________________________
2 From: freemanrich@×××××.com <freemanrich@×××××.com> on behalf of Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
3 Sent: Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:38 PM
4 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp on tmpfs
6
7 On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 5:32 PM, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >> 2018-02-09 0:19 GMT+02:00 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>:
9 >>> On 08/02/18 23:31, gevisz wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I do not use ccache, and in my /var/tmp I only have /var/tmp/portage
12 >>>> and /var/tmp/genkernel (I use genkernel to generate initramfs image).
13 >>>>
14 >>>> I never use emerge and genkernel at the same time. So, why not to put
15 >>>> the whole /var/tmp into one tmpfs?
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>> Well, someone here posted that /var/tmp is supposed to persist between
19 >>> reboots.
20 >>
21 >> In this case it would be nice to hear a reason.
22 >> That's why I have asked if it does not harm.
25 >Countless linux systems are configured to not preserve it between
26 >reboots, FHS notwithstanding. That said, whether you preserve it
27 >would probably make the difference between whether sticking ccache in
28 >there is a good idea or not.
29
30 >Personally I don't preserve it, because lots of stuff that has no need
31 >to persist ends up in /var/tmp. I put stuff that should stick around
32 >someplace else with a suitably liberal tmpreaper policy.
33
34 >--
35 >Rich
38 Just adding my 2 cents EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--fail-clean" helps a ton with tmpfs.
39 As for the athlon x2 system, consider using distcc, I've been using it for quite awhile, I don't think it helps with the ram usage