From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 22:56:52
1 On 5/24/09, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Dale asked *where* system is defined, not what it consists of.
3
4 Well, he was asking many things. One can run into several directions
5 with all the questions he asked, depending on the assumptions one
6 makes. ;)
7
8 > It appears you are completely missing the point. It is indeed very easy to
9 > add things to the @system set, but we are talking about the system set,
10 > and it is broken out of the box as shipped.
11
12 I'm just focusing on it on a level where we (the users, me, you, Mr.
13 Dalek, or the OP) can do things about it, where we have immediate
14 write access. That rules out the Gentoo repos and leaves the local
15 boxes.
16
17 We also can and should escalate it to those who can do more, and IIRC
18 some kind person (you? missed it and forgot who it was) already
19 offered to file the bug. Short of becoming a dev, what more can be
20 done in a volunteer-based distro?
21
22 > Portage will not let you unmerge portage or gcc without a fight.
23
24 Been there, done exactly that (with gcc), though no t-shirts were
25 awarded. A 10-second countdown (IIRC) is hardly a "fight". (But the
26 reinstall sure was, won't do it ever again if I simply can avoid it!)
27 :)
28
29 > But it's not working that way today. Ergo, it is broken.
30
31 I think that is what we agree on, it warrants an escalation (a bug or
32 a feature request). It is the immediate things vs. higher level
33 reporting that we seem to be slightly mixed up about.
34
35 I already asked quickly about this on #gentoo on Saturday and the
36 resident devs there hadn't heard about this, but didn't really appear
37 that worried either. I won't blame them. This won't destroy your data,
38 this will only make certain breakage cases a bit more complicated, and
39 if you really need the four or five nines uptimes, you can try
40 mitigating the problem by, e.g., going full scale buildpkg for
41 everything.
42
43 Furthermore, the glep-55 discussion seems to be heating up again on
44 the -dev-list, so I wouldn't expect the devs to be quick to fix
45 anything related to the PMS/multiple package manager issues right now.
46 They're too busy flinging all shades of poo. Summer, they should have
47 lectures and exams during summer at Universities, too. :/
50 Arttu V.