From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 18:55:44
1 On Sunday 24 May 2009 20:06:59 Arttu V. wrote:
2 > On 5/24/09, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > profiles are cascading and support multiple inheritance (parent files can
4 > > contain several entries). So, you have to run
5 > >
6 > > find /usr/portage/profiles -name packages
7 > >
8 > > to find them all, and apply brain power to find the few that actually
9 > > apply
10 >
11 > Cascading yes, but I'd say no to the find-command. You should be able
12 > to ask portage itself. After all, it has to know your current system
13 > set for its own work, let it do the cascading calculations (unions for
14 > sets):
15
16 Dale asked *where* system is defined, not what it consists of.
17
18 These are entirely different questions with entirely different answers.
19
20 > emerge -p @system
21 >
22 > And even better, if I read correctly from portage man-page (look for
23 > the "packages" and packages.build file section there), it is nearly
24 > trivial to add files to a local system set. Just add
25 > asterisk-prepended lines to /etc/portage/profile/packages. Just tried
26 > it, it seems to work, got python and games-board/megamek added to my
27 > system set according to emerge -p @system! :D
28
29 It appears you are completely missing the point. It is indeed very easy to add
30 things to the @system set, but we are talking about the system set, and it is
31 broken out of the box as shipped. Look at the size of this thread already and
32 what it has taken to gain the understanding we have now. How is a new user
33 supposed to be able to figure this out?
34
35 Portage will not let you unmerge portage or gcc without a fight. It offers a
36 way to back up these critical packages. No rational person will attempt to
37 argue that python in a *portage* system is not subject to the same
38 constraints.
39
40 But it's not working that way today. Ergo, it is broken.
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com