From: Rick van Hattem <Rick.van.Hattem@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] curious thing during download
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:38:56
1 On Sunday 02 April 2006 18:31, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > Kernel is 2.6.14-r3. I am using splash and, probably ore important, a
5 > background picture in a framebuffer on every virtual text console.
6 >
7 > A long download is running on one text console (ppp with an analogue
8 > modem). I am in X and switch back text console to check on the download.
9 >
10 > Each and every tie I do that, the download rate drops and stalls while TX
11 > on the modem goes on flickering. After a short while, stalling is over, the
12 > download rate jumps to an insanely high value and eventually drops down to
13 > the modem speed again.
14 >
15 > Usually that means an out-of-order package or a package got dropped because
16 > it was corrupted.
17 >
18 > Now y curious questions: Does switching fro X to a text console with
19 > framebuffer disturbs interrupt handling that badly that I get a buffer
20 > overrun on the serial port the modem is attached to? From my point of view,
21 > that is the most likely explanation. Anyone who actually knows what is
22 > happening?
23 >
24 > Uwe
25 >
26 > --
27 > Why do consumers keep buying products they will live to curse?
28
29 From my experience switching to and from X will temporarily freeze your system
30 and depending on the buffers in your modem you could get a buffer overflow
31 there.
32
33 I'm not why but I've noticed it aswell (for example while timing some stuff,
34 there was a bit of a gap after switching)
37 Rick van Hattem Rick.van.Hattem(at)Fawo.nl