From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] curious thing during download
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 16:40:33
1 Hi folks,
2
3 Kernel is 2.6.14-r3. I am using splash and, probably ore important, a
4 background picture in a framebuffer on every virtual text console.
5
6 A long download is running on one text console (ppp with an analogue modem). I
7 am in X and switch back text console to check on the download.
8
9 Each and every tie I do that, the download rate drops and stalls while TX on
10 the modem goes on flickering. After a short while, stalling is over, the
11 download rate jumps to an insanely high value and eventually drops down to
12 the modem speed again.
13
14 Usually that means an out-of-order package or a package got dropped because it
15 was corrupted.
16
17 Now y curious questions: Does switching fro X to a text console with
18 framebuffer disturbs interrupt handling that badly that I get a buffer
19 overrun on the serial port the modem is attached to? From my point of view,
20 that is the most likely explanation. Anyone who actually knows what is
21 happening?
22
23 Uwe
26 Why do consumers keep buying products they will live to curse?
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list