From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seamonkey and path to internet
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:13:41
1 On 05/22/2013 09:51 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 21/05/2013 23:36, Dale wrote:
3 >> Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 >>> On 05/20/2013 07:08 PM, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Howdy,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I noticed over the past few weeks a interesting issue. When I leave
8 >>>> Seamonkey open for several hours, it looses its connection to the
9 >>>> internet. If I open Firefox, it works fine. I can ping in a Konsole
10 >>>> too. In Seamonkey tho, not even a simple page like google will work.
11 >>>> If I close Seamonkey and then restart it, it works fine. I don't have
12 >>>> to log out of KDE or anything either. Just restart Seamonkey and it
13 >>>> works for a few more hours. Also, it affects both browser and email.
14 >>>>
15 >>> Try visiting an IP address instead of a hostname. There's an internal
16 >>> DNS cache; if that's what's stopped working you can turn it off with
17 >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.dnsCacheExpiration in about:config.
18 >>> And hopefully that avoids the lookup entirely.
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> Dang, that thing was set to like forever. Default according to your
24 >> link was supposed to be like 60 or something. Mine was set to over
25 >> 250,000. O_O
28 > Hmmm. Mine is set the same - 30 days.
29 >
30 > I wonder how that could have happened when Mozilla's wiki recommends 60
31 > seconds as default
32
33 Looks like there's two variables with similar names:
34 network.dnsCacheExpiration (60)
35 Network.dnsCacheExpirationGracePeriod (2592000)
36
37 I only have the latter and the default seems fine according to:
38 http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2680535
39 (5th post and down, on second page)
40
41 raf