From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kicad and complications from hdf5 and vtk USE flags. Not package specific tho.
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 22:50:11
1 On 17/02/2022 07:42, Dale wrote:
2 > I also commented out as much as I could in
3 > package.use, the things I'd tried previously.  Now it has a clean path
4 > to upgrade.
5
6 Is package.use a file or a directory? If it's a file, convert it to a
7 directory (you can just put the existing package.use file in the new
8 directory).
9
10 Then make sure every time you add new use flags they're either in a file
11 dedicated to a particular package, or they're in a dated file and refer
12 to particular package versions. That dated file, when etc-update wants
13 to update package.use, I just rename its temporary file into a proper
14 dated file, rather than let it mess with a file it's chosen at random.
15
16 That way, you can delete packages you no longer use, clear out old
17 package/use combos, and generally keep things tidy.
18
19 And when you're trying to fix something, that all goes in one file you
20 can ditch when it's all gone wrong :-)
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wol