From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] zoom?
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 23:36:42
1 On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 13:41:21 GMT Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:19 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Web tabs are fairly highly sandboxed in most browsers. Suffice it to
4 > > say something running in a web tab isn't going to be spying on your
5 > > process list/etc.
6 >
7 > OK, fair enough. I would prefer a browser-only interface anyway, if possible
8 >
9 > (BTW: to your knowledge, does that apply to chrome (not chromium)?
10 >
11 > > An application can basically do absolutely anything you can do from a
12 > > shell unless you've done something to contain it. Running it in a
13 > > container would obviously be one way of containing it. Running it
14 > > under another UID would be another, though users can generally see all
15 > > the processes in the system and read any file that is world-readable.
16 > >
17 > > I'm not sure how the flatpak version of zoom that was mentioned
18 > > earlier is packaged. I believe flatpak is container-based, but I
19 > > haven't used it and I can't speak to how well-contained it actually
20 > > is, either in general or in its implementation of this particular
21 > > application. In theory they could make it very secure, but that
22 > > doesn't mean that they did.
23 >
24 > I'm checking Jitsi. Seems nicer than zoom.
25 >
26 > > Oh, and keep in mind that X11 itself isn't the most secure piece of
27 > > software in existence. In particular any window on your desktop can
28 > > spy on the keyboard input into any other window on your desktop,
29 > > unless you're employing protective measures that nobody actually
30 > > employs outside of maybe pinentry (I haven't checked that one and I
31 > > forget if it is completely modal - as in you can't type in any other
32 > > x11 window while it is displayed).
33 >
34 > Right. I propose using a dedicated X session, in a VT other than the
35 > usual one. Having more than one X session alive is easy, at least for
36 > users of ligthweight stuff like openbox.
37 >
38 > Thanks for the input
39 >
40 > Jorge
41 >
42 > > --
43 > > Rich
44
45 More info on the participation Zoom users /enjoy/, whether they like it and
46 have agreed to it, or not:
47
48 https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k7e599/zoom-ios-app-sends-data-to-facebook-even-if-you-dont-have-a-facebook-account