From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 23:01:30
1 On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:27:54PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:21:35 -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:
3 >
4 > > N = newuse (pkgs with changed USE flags)
5 >
6 > --changed-use makes more sense than -N, it saves unnecessary compiling.
7
8 If I understand "man emerge", --newuse tells me if an installed package has a
9 USE flag that was added, removed, turned on, or turned off; whereas
10 --changed-use only notifies me if a USE flag that I've chosen on my installed
11 packages are changed -- not any other USE flags the maintainer, or some other
12 committer, has changed (those have bitten me in the past).
13
14 Since I'm not really interested in reading the ChangeLog for *hundreds* of
15 packages, N (--newuse) suits me better. Those flags have special colors and
16 one or more of - * % () symbols so a quick glance lets me know *which* pkgs
17 the dev has changed, and *which* pkgs ChangeLog I might want to read.
18 --
19 Happy Penguin Computers >')
20 126 Fenco Drive ( \
21 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^