From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 23:15:27
1 On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:01:11 -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:
2
3 > > > N = newuse (pkgs with changed USE flags)
4 > >
5 > > --changed-use makes more sense than -N, it saves unnecessary
6 > > compiling.
7 >
8 > If I understand "man emerge", --newuse tells me if an installed
9 > package has a USE flag that was added, removed, turned on, or turned
10 > off; whereas --changed-use only notifies me if a USE flag that I've
11 > chosen on my installed packages are changed -- not any other USE flags
12 > the maintainer, or some other committer, has changed (those have bitten
13 > me in the past).
14
15 That's right. So --changed-use only reemerges the package if the change
16 only affects your system, whereas -N will rebuild it even if the changed
17 flag is of no interest to you, such as when a flag you were not using is
18 removed. It saves recompiling packages for no reason, which is presumably
19 the reason it was added, it is a newer option than -N.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 This is the day for firm decisions! Or is it?