From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 23:37:34
1 On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:15:10PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >
3 > That's right. So --changed-use only reemerges the package if the change
4 > only affects your system, whereas -N will rebuild it even if the changed
5 > flag is of no interest to you, such as when a flag you were not using is
6 > removed. It saves recompiling packages for no reason, which is presumably
7 > the reason it was added, it is a newer option than -N.
8
9 The purpose of -a (ask) is so you can see the stuff before taking action, and
10 if it needs rebuilding then do it. Nothing is rebuilt just because it shows up
11 in the output; but not seeing changes to a package you use that were made is
12 not too bright.
13
14 If you ever built from source before, I'm sure you didn't blindly build the
15 software without reading ./configure --help and checking your options.
16 --
17 Happy Penguin Computers >')
18 126 Fenco Drive ( \
19 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^