From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 08:32:35
1 On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:37:19 -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:
2
3 > > That's right. So --changed-use only reemerges the package if the
4 > > change only affects your system, whereas -N will rebuild it even if
5 > > the changed flag is of no interest to you, such as when a flag you
6 > > were not using is removed. It saves recompiling packages for no
7 > > reason, which is presumably the reason it was added, it is a newer
8 > > option than -N.
9 >
10 > The purpose of -a (ask) is so you can see the stuff before taking
11 > action, and if it needs rebuilding then do it. Nothing is rebuilt just
12 > because it shows up in the output; but not seeing changes to a package
13 > you use that were made is not too bright.
14 >
15 > If you ever built from source before, I'm sure you didn't blindly build
16 > the software without reading ./configure --help and checking your
17 > options.
18
19 This has nothing to do with --ask, which I use almost all of the time. It
20 is about having portage make more sensible choices. You are free to use
21 whichever options you want, at no time did I tell you what to user, I
22 merely pointed out a potentially useful and time saving alternative.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.