From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE, sddm etc security. Plus LVM question.
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:20:22
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 19/03/2022 08:03, Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I been thinking.  Yea, that's dangerous.  lol  If I logout of KDE, or
6 >> have the screen locked, ctrl+alt=L key sequence, how secure is that if I
7 >> have good passwords that are virtually impossible to crack?  My login
8 >> manager is sddm.  As a example, if someone breaks into my home, is there
9 >> a easy way to get past that?  I recall the old windoze 98 days where a
10 >> certain key sequence would bypass the password prompt.  Is there a way
11 >> known to crooks and such that can bypass or easily defeat passwords?
12 >>
13 > I'm not aware of any such shortcuts. There are always bugs, and design
14 > flaws, and I believe there is such a design flaw in X such that it's
15 > POSSIBLE to bypass a screen-lock.
18 Well, I'm working on replacing this with xscreensaver.  Sounds like it
19 locks and means it.  ;-)
22 >> I'm aware that if a person boots up where no password is required, that
23 >> will bypass, even as root if I recall correctly.  I'm just looking for
24 >> something that is even easier than that.
25 >>
26 > Actually, systemd is actively working on closing that hole ...
27
28 I'm using openrc here.  Hmmmm.
31 >> Also, if I have a encrypted hard drive open and mounted and then cut off
32 >> power, doesn't that disable the decryption for the drive?  In other
33 >> words, I pull the plug and someone powers it back up, the drive is
34 >> encrypted again and requires a password.
35 >
36 > Yes. If you even so much as SUSPEND your system, it's considered a
37 > serious bug for the encryption key to be flushed to disk - it has to
38 > be wiped - and with no key decryption is no longer possible.
41 OK.  If the system is shutdown or plug pulled, hard drive locks up and
42 requires the password to decrypt.  Sounds good.  I was fairly sure it
43 would since it no longer has the device node that is decrypted.
47 >> Also, I'm planning to reorganize and encrypt some more stuff here.  I
48 >> want to remove one hard drive from my home thingy.  Is it really as easy
49 >> as pvmove /dev/sdx the device I want to remove?  From my understanding I
50 >> need to reduce the file system first.  Is that correct?  I'm often
51 >> amazed at how easy some things can be done with LVM.
52 >>
53 > I think you mean pvREmove and, provided you have sufficient unused
54 > space in your PV greater or equal to the size of the drive, yes it
55 > really is that simple. Of course, if you have LESS free space, LVM
56 > will be unable to move everything off sdx and you're going to lose data.
57 >
58 > If you're planning to re-organise by adding larger disks, check out
59 > whether LVM has the equivalent of "mdadm --replace ...", where md-raid
60 > will move stuff on a running system.
61 >
62 > Cheers,
63 > Wol
68 The guide I'm looking at shows pvmove.  This is what I'm looking at:
69
70 https://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/LVM-HOWTO/#RemoveADisk
71
72 If it doesn't scroll to it, it's section 13.5 Removing old disk.  It says:
73
74 pvmove /dev/hdb
75
76 That's for old IDE but I guess it is the same for sd* drives.  Maybe I'm
77 looking at the wrong section?  Sounds pretty easy.  It doesn't even
78 mention reducing the file system there but it does in another section.
79 So, I assume I'd need to reduce the file system first, run that command
80 and the next section's command to remove the drive itself and that's it.
81
82 I'm moving to encrypting some directories.  To do that, I need a empty
83 drive first to put encryption on.  Then I can encrypt, move stuff that
84 isn't encrypted then add drives back until everything that I want is
85 encrypted.  I'm assuming I can have one large logical volume that is
86 encrypted across more than one drive.  Right now, I have 3 drives for
87 /home.  I got space to remove one and then start encrypting and adding
88 other drives to the encrypted stuff.
89
90 I wish it was to where my user password could do this as I login/unlock
91 screen etc.  Thing is, I have things running that need to access the
92 drives even when the screen is locked.  I don't think what I want is
93 even possible there.
94
95 Dale
96