From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 11:52:58
1 2018-02-09 3:50 GMT+02:00 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
2 > gevisz wrote:
3 >>
4 >> You probably will be surprised, but the main reason I am trying to use
5 >> tmpfs for /var/tmp/ is not because I want to make emerging chromium
6 >> faster (I have no hope about that because read somewhere that it will
7 >> make compilation only 10 percent faster) but because I have not too
8 >> much free space on / (sometimes in the past chromium refused to build
9 >> in the similar conditions) and because of that either have to move /var/tmp
10 >> to the separate partition anyway or try to use tmpfs + swap and, if it fails,
11 >> to move to the separate partition only /var/tmp/portage/notmpfs
15 > I think you can tell emerge/portage to build that specific program on
16 > another disk. You just have to tell it where, sort of the same way you
17 > tell it to build on disk instead of tmpfs. I've never done it but it
18 > should work the same way. Just make sure the permissions are right.
19 >
20 > My thinking. Let's say you have chromium that won't fit on the usual
21 > disk. Tell emerge/portage to build chromium in another directory that
22 > is on another disk.
23 >
24 > /etc/portage/env/largedisk.conf
25 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp/largedisk"
26 >
27 > /etc/portage/package.env/package.env
28 > www-client/chromium ../env/largedisk.conf
29 >
30 > Once you have those files set up to work, then make sure you have your
31 > large disk mounted at /var/tmp/largedisk and I would think it would
32 > work. Anytime you emerge chromium, it should do that in
33 > /var/tmp/largedisk. Only question is, do you have another disk to try
34 > this on???
35
36 Yes. I still have an unused 4th primary partition on the same hard disk.
37 I am going to make it extended and create 3 more partitions on it:
38 one — for /var/tmp/notmfs, another — for /var/log and the 3rd one —
39 for some unpredictable purposes like installing a rescue system.
40 Still have not decided on their size, file system and mount options
41 but it would be another question in a separate thread, when I come to it.
42
43 I am currently building a new and shiny :) Gentoo system on the
44 1st primery partion of this disk, that actually contained old /var/tmp,
45 because I am a bit afraid to update my old and still working Gentoo
46 system on the same hard disk that I have not updated for about 9 months.
47
48 Moreover, I have changed profile from not used for a long time
49 default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome
50 one to
51 default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/
52 and already found out a lot of not wise solutions like alsa + pulseaudio
53 with initrc and the likes that I currently trying to avoid.
54
55 > Anyone think that wouldn't work??? Basically, you are just telling
56 > emerge/portage to build somewhere else and it shouldn't care where that
57 > is, tmpfs or disk. Right?
58
59 It is exactly what suggested in the "Per-package choices at compile time"
60 section of the "Portage TMPDIR on tmpfs” Gentoo wiki. So it should work. :)