From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 01:50:19
1 gevisz wrote:
2 >
3 > You probably will be surprised, but the main reason I am trying to use
4 > tmpfs for /var/tmp/ is not because I want to make emerging chromium
5 > faster (I have no hope about that because read somewhere that it will
6 > make compilation only 10 percent faster) but because I have not too
7 > much free space on / (sometimes in the past chromium refused to build
8 > in the similar conditions) and because of that either have to move /var/tmp
9 > to the separate partition anyway or try to use tmpfs + swap and, if it fails,
10 > to move to the separate partition only /var/tmp/portage/notmpfs
14 I think you can tell emerge/portage to build that specific program on
15 another disk.  You just have to tell it where, sort of the same way you
16 tell it to build on disk instead of tmpfs.  I've never done it but it
17 should work the same way.  Just make sure the permissions are right.
18
19 My thinking.  Let's say you have chromium that won't fit on the usual
20 disk.  Tell emerge/portage to build chromium in another directory that
21 is on another disk.
22
23 /etc/portage/env/largedisk.conf
24 PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp/largedisk"
25
26 /etc/portage/package.env/package.env
27 www-client/chromium  ../env/largedisk.conf
28
29 Once you have those files set up to work, then make sure you have your
30 large disk mounted at /var/tmp/largedisk and I would think it would
31 work.  Anytime you emerge chromium, it should do that in
32 /var/tmp/largedisk.  Only question is, do you have another disk to try
33 this on???
34
35 Anyone think that wouldn't work???  Basically, you are just telling
36 emerge/portage to build somewhere else and it shouldn't care where that
37 is, tmpfs or disk.  Right?
38
39 Dale
40