From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 22:17:01
1 2018-02-08 23:57 GMT+02:00 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
2 > On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 4:52 PM, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> However, it probably won't be sooner than
5 >> # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=90 --ask
6 >> world --exclude chromium
7 >> fails because of the "--exclude chromium" part :), as I have already compiled
8 >> the recent vertion of chromium with /var/tmp/portage on the hard disk and
9 >> it took more than 24 hours on my old AMD Athlon X2 with j2 option. :(
12 > Honestly I doubt that tmpfs will make much difference since this is
13 > probably CPU-bound.
14
15 Thank you for your reply.
16
17 You probably will be surprised, but the main reason I am trying to use
18 tmpfs for /var/tmp/ is not because I want to make emerging chromium
19 faster (I have no hope about that because read somewhere that it will
20 make compilation only 10 percent faster) but because I have not too
21 much free space on / (sometimes in the past chromium refused to build
22 in the similar conditions) and because of that either have to move /var/tmp
23 to the separate partition anyway or try to use tmpfs + swap and, if it fails,
24 to move to the separate partition only /var/tmp/portage/notmpfs
25
26 > Using the jumbo-build option probably will help a lot more - but it
27 > will use even more RAM and might make a tmpfs impractical for you. I
28 > bet that jumbo-build on a spinning disk will be faster for you than
29 > not using that option on a tmpfs. But, there is only one way to be
30 > sure.