From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server mouse and keyboard woes
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 03:53:25
1 On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:50 AM, walt<w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 07/10/2009 01:29 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On  9 Jul, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> I had tried holding back on xorg-server 1.5, but somewhere in May at
7 >>> least one package got past my version limits and X broke.  Rather than
8 >>> to try to revert, I thought surely by now, X would be fixed.  Sigh.
9 >>>
10 >>> In another thread, after spending 2 months without a working X server,
11 >>> I got KDM to start.  But without the mouse and keyboard.
12 >>> The nice folks who got me that far warned and comisserated thus:
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> I had a similar problem. Finally I added hald to boot
16 >
17 > Was hald in 'default' before that?
18 >
19 >> rc-update add hald boot
20 >>
21 >> and rebooted. From now on Xorg 1.5 and now 1.6 work just fine
22 >> with hal. I wonder why this hasn't been done/checked by the
23 >> xorg-server ebuild.
24 >
25 > Interesting, I never noticed until now that I have hald in 'default'
26 > like Kevin and yet I have no problems with input devices.
27 >
28 > I'm using only USB mice but PS/2 keyboard with X+hal and only evdev,
29 > not keyboard or mouse drivers.  No InputDevice sections at all in
30 > xorg.conf.
31 >
32 > I'm wondering if this could be related to APCI or BIOS somehow, which
33 > seems to be a major source of different bugs from machine-to-machine.
34 >
35 > Dunno, but it's frustrating to watch you guys have so much trouble with
36 > this problem.
37 >
38 > Kevin, I have two mice, one very non-standard and the other bog-standard
39 > as the Brits like to say.  The Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse has two
40 > buttons and a wheel, and it works well under evdev except that I like
41 > to use Emulate3Buttons.
42 >
43 > My InputDevice sections are gone completely, as I mentioned, so I wrote
44 > a new conf file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-emulate3buttons.fdi:
45 >
46 > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
47 > <deviceinfo version="0.2">
48 >  <device>
49 >   <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">
50 >    <merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons" type="string">true</merge>
51 >   </match>
52 >  </device>
53 > </deviceinfo>
54 >
55 > I just edited the system input file from /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy after
56 > studying the sytax for awhile, and it worked :o)
57 >
58 > Basically, anything you'd put in an InputDevice section of xorg.conf is
59 > transformed into the "input.x11_options" syntax above.  I made another
60 > file for my non-standard mouse adding things like EmulateWheel but the
61 > syntax was identical to above.
62
63 Well, thanks for the commisseration. I put -hal on xorg-xerver in
64 packages.use, and all is well.
65 There's little chance I'm going to throw more time into this
66 particular hole. I have to spend it on my Ubuntu system, which was
67 also hosed by an xorg upgrade: I'm reverting that one to a year-old
68 LTS install that I can rely on for at least another year.
69
70 This is NOT the way for Linux to make progress in the desktop wars, folks.
71
72 ++ kevin
73 --
74 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD