From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server mouse and keyboard woes
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:50:59
1 On 07/10/2009 01:29 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 9 Jul, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 >> I had tried holding back on xorg-server 1.5, but somewhere in May at
4 >> least one package got past my version limits and X broke. Rather than
5 >> to try to revert, I thought surely by now, X would be fixed. Sigh.
6 >>
7 >> In another thread, after spending 2 months without a working X server,
8 >> I got KDM to start. But without the mouse and keyboard.
9 >> The nice folks who got me that far warned and comisserated thus:
12 > I had a similar problem. Finally I added hald to boot
13
14 Was hald in 'default' before that?
15
16 > rc-update add hald boot
17 >
18 > and rebooted. From now on Xorg 1.5 and now 1.6 work just fine
19 > with hal. I wonder why this hasn't been done/checked by the
20 > xorg-server ebuild.
21
22 Interesting, I never noticed until now that I have hald in 'default'
23 like Kevin and yet I have no problems with input devices.
24
25 I'm using only USB mice but PS/2 keyboard with X+hal and only evdev,
26 not keyboard or mouse drivers. No InputDevice sections at all in
27 xorg.conf.
28
29 I'm wondering if this could be related to APCI or BIOS somehow, which
30 seems to be a major source of different bugs from machine-to-machine.
31
32 Dunno, but it's frustrating to watch you guys have so much trouble with
33 this problem.
34
35 Kevin, I have two mice, one very non-standard and the other bog-standard
36 as the Brits like to say. The Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse has two
37 buttons and a wheel, and it works well under evdev except that I like
38 to use Emulate3Buttons.
39
40 My InputDevice sections are gone completely, as I mentioned, so I wrote
41 a new conf file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-emulate3buttons.fdi:
42
43 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
44 <deviceinfo version="0.2">
45 <device>
46 <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">
47 <merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons" type="string">true</merge>
48 </match>
49 </device>
50 </deviceinfo>
51
52 I just edited the system input file from /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy after
53 studying the sytax for awhile, and it worked :o)
54
55 Basically, anything you'd put in an InputDevice section of xorg.conf is
56 transformed into the "input.x11_options" syntax above. I made another
57 file for my non-standard mouse adding things like EmulateWheel but the
58 syntax was identical to above.