From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH won't restart
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:47:06
1 On Saturday 08 September 2007 16:40:34 Grant wrote:
2 > I just upgraded ssh and when I try to restart I get:
3 >
4 > * Stopping sshd ... [ !! ]
5 >
6 > I don't see anything about it in '/var/log/sshd/current'.  How can I
7 > figure out what is wrong?  I'm a little nervous because I don't want
8 > to shut myself out of this remote server.
9
10 This thread went on for a long time, which I mostly ignored TBH.
11 However, I think I just found a solution.
12 openssh, in some circumstances (I believe to be openssl changing ABI), will
13 not restart as you found. It will only not restart when it's being actively
14 used, so you can't do so will logged in.
15 To restart it when your logged out on a remote server is simply a matter of
16 doing this:
17
18 # (sleep 15 && /etc/init.d/sshd restart) &
19
20 Then getting all ssh sessions logged out within 15 seconds.
21 I've just done this on a remote system and can now happily log back in, and
22 restart ssh without issue.
25 Mike Williams
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list