From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SLES or gentoo ... ?
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 22:02:14
1 Am 05.08.2013 23:55, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On 05/08/2013 23:20, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >>
4 >> ! Pls don't flame me :-) !
5 >>
6 >> Don't misunderstand ... I happily trust gentoo on most of my customers
7 >> servers.
8 >>
9 >> A customer of mine chose SLES 10 back then to run a VMware-Server
10 >> installation (1.0.x back then) because they had some big
11 >> company-license-pool available.
12 >>
13 >> That server is to be replaced and I asked them if they still want to use
14 >> SLES because of that. Answer: no ... no more licenses available/paid.
15 >>
16 >> So they asked me for alternatives and I told them about gentoo.
17 >>
18 >> My question:
19 >>
20 >> how would you guys compare the 2 choices to report it back to them?
21 >>
22 >> People buy stuff like SLES to get/feel the feeling that all the choice
23 >> and review of changes is done for them .... we didn't need one
24 >> support-call in the last few years. And the gentoo-community is a
25 >> helpful and competent one (yes, thank you!).
26 >>
27 >> So I tend to do the job with gentoo ... better they pay my work than
28 >> some never-used support-contract ;-)
29 >>
30 >> I just plan to use stable gentoo there, be conservative with changes and
31 >> keep the system up-to-date regularly ... as I use ~amd64 on my main
32 >> machines I think I am rather informed about any *bigger* or problematic
33 >> upgrades.
34 >>
35 >> It's gonna be a QEMU/KVM-host .. this and some rather powerful server
36 >> should speed up those smallish and dusty VMs.
37 >>
38 >> Any thoughts? How to professionally deploy gentoo linux as a one-man-show?
39 >>
40 >> ;-)
41 >>
42 >> Best regards, Stefan
46 > I despise SLES intensely[1]. Even more than Windows. So this may be biased.
47 >
48 > The primary question as I see it is
49 >
50 > Who will maintain this installation?
51 >
52 > If the answer is you and 1|2 guys you train yourself, by all means go
53 > right ahead and use gentoo. You already know it well so the quality of
54 > service you offer a customer is likely to be better than if you went say
55 > Centos.
56 >
57 > If the answer is you plus other guys but you don't know who they are or
58 > how good they are or if you get to train them, then gentoo starts
59 > getting risky. You don't want a gentoo box where the admin is the
60 > "emerge world && reboot" and walk away kind of guy.
61 >
62 > I think you fall in the first class. And our Infrastructure team has
63 > also never had to log a VMware service call. Our managed service team
64 > that faces clients - very different story and not applicable here.
65 >
66 > I find that gentoo does not scale well in corporates where machines are
67 > a mix of everything. It takes too much brain power to update them. It
68 > also doesn't work well if you have to give admin rights to people of
69 > little skill.
70 >
71 > Where gentoo shines is
72 >
73 > - small installs that need something none standard
74 > - large pools of identical hosts that are somehow non-standard so you
75 > get to build what you want once and deploy it many times
76 > - embedded. Your tools let you automate the build end-to-end
80 > [1] A predecessor used SLES 9 & 10 for everything coz he thought it was
81 > awesome. Nothing could ever get updated as it was always manual,
82 > SuSEconfig kept biting us in the teeth hard and it was just awful for
83 > anyone used to working on *nix at any leveol. Fine for Windows admins
84 > moving over though...
87 Thanks. That's what I wanted to read and fished for ;-)
88
89 Stefan