From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching to LCD monitor
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:36:53
1 On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > 050721 James Hiscock wrote:
4 >>>> My question to anyone who can advise is this:
5 >>>> do I just unplug the CRT & plug in the LCD ? will it work so simply ?
6 >> In most cases, yes,
7 >> but you'll need to restart X if you do the swap while it's running.
8 >
9 > No ! I wasn't thinking of hotplugging the monitor !
10 >
11 >>> The horysontal sync & vertical refresh aren't likely to be the same,
12 >>> so you'll have to adapt your current xorg.conf
13 >>> I've read a few times that wrong values can harm your screen
14 >>> (but never seen it happen) so be careful.
15 >>> Or you can use 'xorgconfig' and answer the questions step by step.
16 >>> I did this on a 17'' dell TFT at work and it worked first try.
17 >> or you could just remove the horizontal sync & vertical refresh lines
18 >> from your xorg.conf, and let xorg figure it out for you.
19 >
20 > Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, if the mobo & graphics card handle it,
21 > Xorg won't have too much difficulty getting used to it.
22 > I would assume that LCDs are less susceptible to damage than CRTs,
23 > if they are given the wrong sync & refresh rates.
24 >
25 Also if I understand correctly, LCD monitors are fixed - rate, so you
26 have to buy one that has the resolution you like (not like CRT monitors
27 where you buy the highest resolution and then display at a lower rate if
28 you wish.
29
30 M
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list