From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching to LCD monitor
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:28:02
1 050721 James Hiscock wrote:
2 >>> My question to anyone who can advise is this:
3 >>> do I just unplug the CRT & plug in the LCD ? will it work so simply ?
4 > In most cases, yes,
5 > but you'll need to restart X if you do the swap while it's running.
6
7 No ! I wasn't thinking of hotplugging the monitor !
8
9 >> The horysontal sync & vertical refresh aren't likely to be the same,
10 >> so you'll have to adapt your current xorg.conf
11 >> I've read a few times that wrong values can harm your screen
12 >> (but never seen it happen) so be careful.
13 >> Or you can use 'xorgconfig' and answer the questions step by step.
14 >> I did this on a 17'' dell TFT at work and it worked first try.
15 > or you could just remove the horizontal sync & vertical refresh lines
16 > from your xorg.conf, and let xorg figure it out for you.
17
18 Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, if the mobo & graphics card handle it,
19 Xorg won't have too much difficulty getting used to it.
20 I would assume that LCDs are less susceptible to damage than CRTs,
21 if they are given the wrong sync & refresh rates.
25 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
26 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
27 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list