From: Mick <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: k3b and now NTFS access rights
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 22:09:12
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > user or users. The difference is that with user, only the user that
5 > mounted a filesystem, or root, can umount it. With users, user A can
6 > mount a filesystem and user B can umount it.
7
8 What a right 'carry on' this access issue is. I eventually got on the
9 machine in question. Two NTFS partitions. When I add
10 noauto,ro,user,uid=1001 the user in question can mount and read the various
11 files. The respective mount point under /mnt/Suzy_WinXP is shown as
12 suzy:root.
13
14 As soon as I remove the uid number from fstab the user can no longer access
15 the files! Konqueror comes up with this error: "Unable to enter
16 file:///mnt/Suzy_WinXP. You do not have access rights to this location."
17 The /mnt/Suzy_WinXP is now shown as root:root and Konqueror shows "Locked
18 Folder". The funny thing is that the NTFS partition *is* mounted as shown
19 in mount:
20 ===================
21 /dev/sda14 on /mnt/Suzy_WinXP type ntfs (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
23
24 So, if I want to mount NTFS partitions by different users what am I supposed
25 to do? Pile up the uid Nos? There must be a better way. Unlike VFAT
26 partitions which do not recognise/require ownership NTFS does not seem to
27 want to play. Are your experiences different?
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list