From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~amd64] Keyboard stops working several times/day
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 16:58:45
1 On 16/08/2015 18:45, walt wrote:
2 > I've been seeing this keyboard problem for the past few weeks: after
3 > running some command from a bash prompt (haven't tried zsh yet) the
4 > keyboard stops working. Almost like somebody unplugged the keyboard
5 > from its usb port (except that the LED on the keyboard stays lit so I
6 > know the power is still on).
7 >
8 > There are no error messages in journalctl or in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
9 >
10 > I don't know how to change to a console without using a ctrl-alt-Fn
11 > keystroke from the keyboard (anyone know if it's possible?).
12 >
13 > When I unplug the keyboard from the usb port I can see the kernel
14 > recognize the unplug event, which makes me think that it's not a
15 > kernel/usb bug or a broken wire in the keyboard cable.
16 >
17 > When I re-plug the keyboard into a usb port the keyboard immediately
18 > starts working normally again until the next time I happen to trigger
19 > the problem by running some black-magical command from a command
20 > prompt. There is no particular command that causes it--it can be any
21 > arbitrary command AFAICT.
22 >
23 > Just one weird example: I can be typing a URL in a web browser window
24 > when a bash command finishes running in a terminal window and the
25 > keyboard stops working in the middle of my typing :(
26 >
27 > Any debugging suggestions would be most welcome.
30 First step (more to half the problem space than anything else):
31
32 Does the same happen if you use another keyboard?
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com