From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Is EVMS dead?
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 23:08:55
1 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 17:29 +0000, James wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> I do not read as much as I should, but, I stumbled across this page [1]
6 >> that suggests that EVMS is dead. I see it is in portage, but is it
7 >> slated for the trash, as time moves forward? Sure it's Ubuntu site, but
8 >> they claim EVMS is unmaintained, if you read further down the page.
9 >
10 >>From evms.sf.net:
11 >
12 > "The current stable version of EVMS is 2.5.5. It was released on
13 > February 26, 2006."
14 >
15 > That's 3 months shy of 2 years. Also read the following thread from
16 > their -dev ML:
17 >
18 > http://marc.info/?l=evms-devel&m=119078823017821&w=2
19
20 given that I frequently play the role of the heretic (complete with burn scars
21 all over my body and various bits of damage from the weapons of true believers)
22 I think it's a good thing that EVMS is slated for the trash heap. It's a
23 classic example of "second system syndrome" as defined by "the mythical Man
24 month". It's overly complicated, poorly documented, and has a terrible user
25 interface that only a geek would even consider using.
26
27 Having said that, I also think LVMS suffers from many if not all of the same
28 problems that plagued EVMS. it is been around for years and still the
29 documentation on how to perform common operations is lacking. It's a chicken
30 and egg problem. You need to understand LVMS in order to understand the
31 documentation and then you can't explain it to anyone else. Every time I've
32 used LVMS, it takes me the same number of hours to relearn the same old pieces
33 of obscure command syntax and become comfortable that I'm not going to trash my
34 disk. As a result, I don't use LVMS either.
35
36 I don't see a compelling case for using LVMS and it kin unless you're running a
37 multiple disk array with different segments mounted as raid arrays. Then you
38 can justify the expense of your labor in understanding how to use LVMS. Using
39 it on a small system like a laptop or desktop with only a couple drives, not
40 worth it. Even if you're just using simple mirroring, it's still not worth it.
41 Here's a simple example why not. If you machine dies and your backups are
42 "inadequate", you may want to try and recover the disc by putting it into
43 another system. How? If you didn't back up a bunch of magic information from
44 the original system's /etc directory, you're well and truly screwed. But even
45 if you have the information, you may still be screwed if you can't find the
46 documentation which tells you how to incorporate the LVMS configuration data
47 into the new system. this is the kind of high risk error prone thing that a
48 command should do, not a human.
49
50 This situation really sucks. LVMS can be really nice when you need it but
51 unfortunately a lack of documentation, use examples written for people who don't
52 live with LVMS but once or twice a year, and a nice GUI for translating what the
53 user wants to do into LVMS commands keep LVMS inaccessible and frustrating to
54 use by many
55
56 ---eric (heretic by thought, deed, and graffiti)
60 Speech-recognition in use. It makes mistakes, I correct some.
61 --
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list