From: Brandon Vargo <brandon.vargo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop Lid Close...
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 16:21:44
1 On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 02:14 -0500, Joshua Murphy wrote:
2 > if radeontool or something will allow you to disable the display even
3 > when you aren't in X, or without proper access to the display (like
4 > xset requires) you might be able to even escape needing that xhost
5 > setting. No way of testing it at all myself though.
6
7 I use the dpms feature of sys-apps/vbetool to control the state of the
8 display from a shell script called by acpid. It works even when X is not
9 running and does not need access to the X display if X is running. Also,
10 it works with graphics cards from multiple vendors, as it uses VESA
11 extensions. From personal experience, I know it works with the Intel
12 graphics chipset in my laptop (x86) and also with the Nvidia graphics
13 card in my desktop (amd64). The latter does not have a lid to close, of
14 course, but vbetool can still turn off the display.
15
16 --Brandon Vargo