From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop Lid Close...
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:14:09
1 On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:24 PM, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm running a Dell D600, and I've located a number of tools for it but I am not seeing anything related to when I close the lid. Since I got Gentoo running on it, the Monitor continues running when I close the lid.
3 >
4 > I've found several sources for doing something as an ACPI event, which seems to be the right method. I can toggle the button with the lid open and cat /etc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state and see it change between 'open' and 'closed'; and I know I could write myself a little script do something like calling radeontool to turn off the backlight, but I'd like to find a more official method.
5 >
6 > I mostly run KDE 3.5 (I'll go to KDE4 when I can...once portage 2.2 comes out and all), but I didn't see anything for a 'turn off monitor on lid close' setting (preferrably root controlled so that it affects all users). The only thing I can find is a the standby/suspend/shutdown/logoff, system performance, and CPU throttling. I don't really want to do any of that - just put the monitor into stand-by, not necessarily the whole system.
7 >
8 > Any how...I'd really like to get this working.
9 >
10 > TIA,
11 >
12 > Ben
13
14 In...
15 /etc/acpi/default.sh
16
17 there's a comment (with commented code you can use following it)...
18 # if your laptop doesnt turn on/off the display via hardware
19 # switch and instead just generates an acpi event, you can force
20 # X to turn off the display via dpms. note you will have to run
21 # 'xhost +local:0' so root can access the X DISPLAY.
22
23 if radeontool or something will allow you to disable the display even
24 when you aren't in X, or without proper access to the display (like
25 xset requires) you might be able to even escape needing that xhost
26 setting. No way of testing it at all myself though.
29 Poison [BLX]
30 Joshua M. Murphy