From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to downgrade to old fetching indicator?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:24:33
1 On Tuesday 28 October 2008 23:09:48 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 > > On Tuesday 28 October 2008 21:11:05 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
3 > >> Hi!
4 > >>
5 > >> How to "downgrade" to old fetching indicator (single-line instead of
6 > >> multiple lines)?
7 > >
8 > > This has been bugging me for a long time as well, I'd really liek to know
9 > > what's going on.
10 > >
11 > > 'ps ax' while emerge is downloading shows the full wget command used -
12 > > it's FETCHCOMMAND from make.conf. The identical command on the command
13 > > line produces the old output. Adding the wget option --progress=bar to
14 > > FETCHCOMMAND changes nothing, but it is the correct option to influence
15 > > this behaviour.
16 > >
17 > > It seems like perhaps FETCHCOMMAND is no longer the applicable setting in
18 > > make.conf...
19 >
20 > Perhaps you did not read wget's info page ?
21 > Please read the following excerpt to the end
22
23 OK, that explains it. I read the first three paragraphs, saw "Legal indicators
24 are 'dot' and 'bar'" and figured there were two options - verbose with lots
25 of dots or concise with 50 dashes. That'll teach me to assume :-)
26
27 [man wget's is getting like bash, screen, nmap and mplayer's man pages...]
28
29 But there's something else at work here - this change happened on my mchine
30 within the last 6 weeks. The last emerge of wget here was Aug 17. So what
31 changed with portage?
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com