From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: encfs/fuse fails after update world
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 22:33:54
1 On Saturday 02 June 2007 05:25:33 pm reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> writes:
3 > > On Saturday 02 June 2007 06:47:10 am reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 > >> Following recent update world, encfs encrypted partition refuses to
5 > >> mount with error:
6 > >> EncFS Password:
7 > >> Error decoding volume key, password incorrect
8 > >
9 > > I had my fill of enfs a while back and now deploy ecryptfs in it's
10 > > place. The best part about ecryptfs is that the filesystem deriver is in
11 > > recent kernel sources.
12 >
13 > It appears not to have usefull documentaion... only the usual manpage
14 > that assumes you already know how to use it.
15 >
16 > Do you know of any `getting started' type documentation?
17
18 It's hosted on sourceforge.net. Google will turn up a lot of information...
19 but here's what I do...
20
21 mount -t ecryptfs /crypt /crypt -o
22 rw,key=passphrase,ecryptfs_key_bytes=32,cipher=aes,passthrough=no
23
24 /crypt on /crypt type ecryptfs
25 (rw,ecryptfs_sig=cf5c9b2c19863be6,ecryptfs_key_bytes=32,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,)
28 When mounted in this manner... whatever you stick in /crypt is encrypted
29 automaticly.
30
31 You should read/print "man ecryptfs" when you get a chance. It covers the
32 nitty gritty details.
33
34 Over all, I like it a LOT. Heavy encryption, key not stored on the disk,
35 unless you desire it... A simple umount command and access to the decrypted
36 files is denied... Quite powerful and there's no limits to using it, other
37 than you can't encrypt "/"...
38
39 Cheers and have a nice weekend.
50 Jerry McBride