From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 09:18:44
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/02/2010 11:46 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 02:12:45 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> I would like either the old IDE drives to come first, since I rarely
7 >>>> ever move them or grub to work with labels. I have a entry in
8 >>>> grub.conf that uses the labels but i have not rebooted yet. According
9 >>>> to what I have read it will work. The only concern is that if grub
10 >>>> doesn't like labels and I add another drive, then I got to edit the
11 >>>> grub boot line to boot and it took me a couple tries to get this
12 >>>> right. It seeing what used to be the last drive first sort of took me
13 >>>> by surprise. I don't like surprises to much.
14 >>> Press c to get the GRUB command line and then use find to identify your
15 >>> root partition - find /etc/fstab will work unless you have two root
16 >>> partitions. There's no need for suck-it-and-see editing of config
17 >>> files,
18 >>> you only have to change menu.lst after you have found and tested the
19 >>> correct boot options.
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> I know I switched to grub from lilo because it was user friendly but I
23 >> haven't used this feature. So instead of hitting "e", I hit "c" and it
24 >> gives me something similar to what I get when I type grub into a console
25 >> when booted? I did a man grub here and I don't see that documented. Is
26 >> this documented somewhere?
27 >
28 > Yes. When you press ESC in Grub to go to text mode, it says right
29 > there that you can press "c" to enter edit mode :)
33 I was hoping for something like a man page or something tho. I would
34 like to read up on this a little before jumping in head first. Does it
35 have a little info on screen on what does what at least? I think the
36 edit screen does but not sure about this part.
37
38 Thanks.
39
40 Dale