From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/make.profile symlink broken
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 02:36:24
1 On 8/12/2010, at 11:10pm, Trifu Catalin Florin wrote:
2 > ...
3 > On one of the systems, the symlink between /etc/make.profile was broken. ...
4 > and I'm a little bit scared because I couldn't find anything in the bash history that could have give me a clue of the mistake I have made which lead to the destruction of that symlink. This would be my first question, did anyone experienced the same problem? Does anyone has any idea of a mistake that could lead to this result?
5 >
6 > I have mapped /etc/make.profile with another profile and I have tried to update the system again. ... Can anyone tell me a brief explanation of what a profile is and how does it affect my system? What is the difference between the
7 > profiles listed under /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0 and those listed under /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/10.0 ?
8
9 The symlink probably got broken because the profiles are part of the information that Portage updates when you `emerge sync` - i.e. they're in /usr/portage/profiles/ and the whole of /usr/portage/ is prone to being updated during the sync.
10
11 If I'm reading your forums posting correctly I'd guess you were using a 2007 profile, and that's no longer in Portage.
12
13 This is nothing to get in a panic about or worry about or blame yourself for.
14
15 Just `eselect profile list` & `eselect profile set`, forget about it and move onto the next thing. You have FAR more to worry about, and will need to give us a LOT more information if you want to upgrade this machine to current and want our help.
16
17 As Alan tried to say 2008 and 10 refer to the "publication year" of the profile. Profiles contain stuff like default USE (e.g. "/usr/portage/profiles/base/package.use") flags and hard-pinned versions of certain packages. For normal use you don't need to know no more than this - I don't and I've been using Gentoo 7 years.
18
19 Stroller.